HISTORIC SITES IN ATLANTIC COUNTY WEYMOUTH FURNACE The Weymouth Forge / Furnace, part of the Atlantic County Park System, is located on Route 559, just north of the Black Horse Pike (Route 322). The Weymouth Forge land was purchased in 1800 from the West New Jersey Society by five partners headed by George Ashbridge and Charles Shoemaker. In 1801, the State granted permission to dam the Great Egg Harbor River "for accommodation of iron works and other waterworks...". Iron production began in 1802. Looking at the area now, it is hard to imagine that by the time of peak production in the early 1850's, the tract contained a furnace, forge, gristmill, Methodist church, sawmill, large owner's mansion, store, 20 workers' houses, a blacksmith shop, and a wheelwright.